What foods are safe for dogs to eat? To be precise, this blog is about what fruits and veggies are safe to eat, and also addresses cats! It’s always a good idea to remind ourselves what are safe foods for our dogs and cats to eat, and what are dangerous to them!
To focus on what fruits and veggies they SHOULDN’T EAT:
New pet owners might not be aware that the ubiquitous onion, and garlic, are off limits. Onions and garlic contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body to burst. At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.
The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.
And the harmless-appearing grape (also in its dried state, as a raisin!) is also toxic. Their toxicity to dogs can cause the animal to develop acute renal failure (the sudden development of kidney failure) with anuria (a lack of urine production). However, kidney failure is not seen in all dogs after ingestion of grapes or raisins, and again, the reason why some dogs are affected excessively while others are not is still being studied. Symptoms noted when grapes or raisins have been ingested:
- vomiting and/or diarrhea often within a few hours; after 24 hours of ingestion vomit and fecal contents may contain pieces of grapes or raisin
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy, weakness, unusual quietness
- Abdominal pain
- Oliguria (passing only a small amount of urine)
- Anuria (complete cessation of urine)
- Kidney (renal) failure and death
If your pet does ingest an OFF LIMITS food, please take them to your vet, who will know the appropriate course of action to take. Phone them first, or call the Emergency Vet as they might want you to induce vomiting (OR NOT – that’s why you need to call!)
I hope these few facts will promote your interest in healthy foods for your pets – there’s lots more research you can do, as this chart is just FRUITS and VEGGIES. There are other Off Limits foods, including chocolate.
Here’s a great poster from the Eat Clean. Train Mean. Live Green. Facebook Page.
This colourful poster prints up nicely – just trim it and post on your refrigerator. I have a similar one on mine and look at it regularly. It keeps me on the right, and safe, track!